Sport at Challock
Sport at Challock
Sport plays an integral part in school life at Challock - we regularly compete against other schools in Ashford or further afield, and have been very successful in several sports. You can follow our progress in the 'Latest News' section of the website, which houses our results and photos from after each event.
- Tag Rugby - Winner of Ashford Schools Tournament in June 2016 - 9th in Kent at the Kent Games 2016, representing Ashford; Winners of the East-Ashford Schools Tournament, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Outdoor Athletics - Winner of Medium Schools' Section - 2016, winner of the Small Schools' Section, 2011, 2013 and 2014.
- Indoor Athletics - Y5/6 Silver medallists in Ashford, November 2015. 6th place in Ashford Schools in Y5/6, November 2016.
- Basketball - Silver medalists in Ashford Schools Tournament, January 2017
- Handball - Silver medalists in Ashford Schools Tournament, September 2016
- Gymnastics - Kent Games finalists, representing Ashford, 2013 and 2014
- Football - Runners-up, Medium Schools Tournament, 2016 and 2017.
- Netball - Currently playing in the Ashford Schools' netball league, and holders of the Fair Play award for the 2016 league season.Winners of the small schools section, 2011.
- Cross-Country - Attended 5 events in September and October 2016, with individual gold medal winners and team event winners.
- Speed-Stacking - Y5/6 and Y3/4 runners-up in Ashford, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Infant Agility
- Gifted and Talented - We are signed onto the 'Ashford Schools Enhanced Package' meaning we attend Gifted and Talented sessions with selected pupils, led through the North School.
What else do we do in school?
In addition to PE lessons, we also run intra-school events, such as our House Netball and Football tournaments as well as Sports Day. Our older pupils participate actively in these events, managing teams and helping run Sports Day. Our School Sports Leaders also lead decathlon events with our younger pupils, the results of which go into a House Competition.
Furthermore, we have a range of clubs, including speed stacking, netball and football, and we link with Towers School in Ashford who provide further training in and out of school - some our Year 6, for example, went to Towers School for specialist volleyball training, and also benefitted from specialist gymnastics coaching!
Through our Sainsbury's Active kids vouchers, we buy various PE resources, and also have workshops - over the last few years, we have had disco-dancing, western line-dancing, judo and taekwondo workshops. This is all thanks to the wonderful support of parents who provide the active kids vouchers, so thank you very much for this!
Aims for 2016-17:
We aim to...
- continue to enter Level 2 events against other schools - identified above
- host sports events against other schools at Challock
- attend other sports events which we missed last year, including dodgeball and tri-golf
- release our sports newsletter fortnightly
- establish more links with other sporting clubs to encourage our pupils to take part in
- run more intra-school House events led by our sports leaders
- encourage and provide for our Gifted and Talented sporting pupils
NEWS! Silver Kitemark Award awarded again for 2014-15
We're thrilled to announce that, for the third year running, we've been awarded the Silver Kitemark from the Sainbury's School Games for our participation in inter-school sport and the intra-school competitions we run. A big well done to all the children who've taken part in these events and thanks to the staff who've helped along the way.
We're now aiming for the Gold Kitemark for 2015-16. To achieve this, we'll continue as we did last year, taking part in many inter-school events, including entering B teams. Our School Sports Organising Crew (SSOC) will also aim to hold more inter-school house competitions, including cross-country, speed stacking and New Age Kurling in addition to the currently running house netball, football, rugby and athletics events. They will also look to build on leading PE sessions for the younger classes.
To gain the gold kitemark, we'll also aim to produce our sports newsletter fortnightly as well as continuing to share news on our school website and our School Sports Board (located outside our EYFS and Lowry classrooms). The newsletters will be written by our sports leaders who will have training in running events, and also aim to increase our links to local sports clubs by providing our pupils information on the various sports clubs they can join, such as trampolining, horse-riding or martial arts. Many of our pupils currently take part in these clubs, and so their experiences will be valuable here.