What is Online Safety and why is it important?
Online Safety is the school's ability:
- to protect and educate pupils in their use of technology
- to have the appropriate mechanisms to intervene and support any incident where appropriate
Online Safety encompasses not only Internet technologies but also electronic communications via mobile phones, games consoles and wireless technology. It highlights the need to educate children and young people about the benefits, risks and responsibilities of using information technology.
- Online Safety concerns safeguarding children and young people in the digital world.
- Online Safety emphasises learning to understand and use new technologies in a positive way.
- Online Safety is less about restriction and more about education about the risks as well as the benefits so we can feel confident online.
- Online Safety is concerned with supporting children and young people to develop safer online behaviours both in and out of school.
Safer Internet Day
Each year we participate in 'Safer Internet Day' which is run by The UK Safer Internet Centre'. This day promotes and highlights how to stay safe on line with activities going on all across the UK.
This year each of our classes performed assemblies for parents including skits, songs and power point slides!
Information for parents and carers
Below is a useful information leaflet on e-safety for parents and carers of primary school children, as taken from the KCC website.
Additionally, our 'Use of Social Media' policy, produced alongside our use of Twitter and Youtube channels, can be viewed in the 'policy' section of our website.