Sport at Challock
Sport at Challock
What sport takes place at Challock Primary School?
In addition to two PE lessons per week, we also run Level 1 Intra-School Competition including House Netball, Football, Cricket, Cross-Country, Hockey, Boccia, Kurling and Sports Day. Our older pupils participate actively in these events, managing teams and helping run Sports Day. Our School Sports Leaders, following training, also contribute to PE sessions and lead events such as indoor athletics with our younger pupils, the results of which go into a 'Digital' House Competition.
Furthermore, we have a range of extra-curricular clubs led by both school staff and clubs/coaches from the community including football, netball, Tag Rugby (alongside Ashford Rugby Club), Cricket, Athletics, Rounders, Tri-golf, Speed Stacking, and Fitness. We also deliver taster sessions in school for other sports such as with Charing Tennis Club.
We also take part in The Daily Mile, a social physical activity, with our pupils running or jogging at their own pace in the fresh air with friends over 15 minutes.
We host a holiday club with Primary Sports Giants (www.primarysportsgiants.co.uk), a company we use for Staff CPD on delivering PE and also Healthy-eating sessions, and extra events such as our '100% Event' Nerf Wars for our Infant and Junior pupils and Balance Bikes for our Reception pupils.
School Games GOLD Mark Award
In 2019, we were delighted to announce that we had achieved the School Games GOLD Mark Award. The School Games Mark is a Government led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community, and we are delighted to have been recognised for our success.
As part of our application, we were asked to fulfil criteria in the areas of participation, competition, workforce and clubs, and we are pleased that the hard work of everyone at our school has been rewarded this year.
The School Games Mark is currently on hold, but with school sports competitions now returning, we are hoping to be able to apply for the Gold Mark Award again in July 2022.
Our Sporting Achievements
We regularly compete against other schools in Ashford or further afield in Level 2 Inter-School competitions, and have been very successful in several sports. You can follow our progress in the 'Latest News' section of the website, which houses our results and photos from after each event.
- Tag Rugby - Winners of Ashford Schools Tournament in 2019, 2017, 2016 (9th in Kent at the Kent School Games Finals 2016, representing Ashford), and 2012 (5th in Kent).
- Winners of East-Ashford Schools Tournament, 2015, 2014 and 2013
- Outdoor Athletics - Winners of Medium Schools Section in 2019 and 2016, winner of the Small Schools Section, 2014, 2013 and 2011.
- Indoor Athletics - Y5/6 Bronze medallists in Ashford, November 2018, Silver medallists in Nov. 2015.
- Basketball - Silver medalists in Ashford Schools Tournament, January 2017
- Handball - Silver medalists in Ashford Schools Tournament, September 2016
- Gymnastics - Kent Games finalists, representing Ashford, 2014 and 2013
- Football - Runners-up, Medium Schools Tournament, 2017 and 2016. Semi-finalists, 2019 and 2018.
- Netball - Currently playing in the Ashford Schools Netball League. Winners of the Fair Play award for the 2016 league season. Winners of the Ashford Netball Tournament, Small Schools section, 2011.
- Cross-Country - We attend 4 Junior events in September and October at Godinton House, with regular individual medal winners and team event winners, and also the Kent Junior Schools Cross Country Championship held at the Kent Showground, Detling in November.
- Hockey - semi-finalists, Ashford Schools, 2022
- Volleyball - participation
- Dodgeball - participation
- Speed-Stacking - Winners and runners-up of Ashford Schools Tournament in 2020 - Y5/6, Y5/6 and Y3/4 silver medalists in Ashford, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
- Infant Agility - participation
- Tri-Golf - participation
- Gifted and Talented sessions - participation
- Boccia - Winners of Ashford Schools Tournament in 2020 - Y5/6
- New Age Kurling - Winners of Ashford Schools Tournament in 2020 - Y3/4